An hours-long standoff in North Carolina left one deputy dead and another injured. At about 102 miles northwest of Charlotte, the standoff in Boone ended around midnight after a barricaded person in a home died. It was not immediately clear how the person died.
Officers responded to a welfare check at about 9:45 a.m. ET after the homeowner didn’t show up to work or answer any calls. After identifying all of the vehicles on the property, authorities said the deputies entered the home. Two of the deputies were then shot by a person inside the house.
Sgt. Chris Ward died after he was taken to Johnson City Medical Center in Tennessee, authorities said. The second deputy, Logan Fox, was still on the scene. His condition was not immediately clear. No other injuries were reported.
Additional News Headlines
- Biden pushes for more visionary research to end cancer
- One major reason young people shouldn’t avoid getting vaccinated
- This royal couple celebrates their 10-year-anniversary
- Men who dress like this are more likely to cheat
- NYPD’s robot dog will be returned after outrage
P.S.Know someone who’d love the Brief Updates? Be sure to send them to this link so they can get signed up: BriefUpdates.com